Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Legacy of A Servant of God

We recently lost a very dear friend, woman of God and member of our Church.  Jane, who by God's grace, survived being crushed by a tree many years ago, finally went home to be with the Lord after an extended illness.  She was a mother of 8 boys and 1 girl, a wife, a grandmother and great grandmother; but mostly, she was a believer and servant of the Most High God.

I met Jane about 8 years ago, a short time after my husband and I moved to Maryland from Philadelphia.  We had just joined a small group and Jane was a member of that group as well.  We were soon to find out that Jane had been a member of several small groups and visited all of them regularly.  I also observed that she was a passionate witness of the Gospel, leading many to faith in Jesus Christ just about wherever she went.  Whenever we had an opportunity to host/court the Presence of God at our Church, Jane was there.  Though she was 80 something years old and walked with a walker, she never missed a beat:  volunteering at Church, coming to prayer or just being in fellowship with other Christians.  That was Jane. 

When I heard the news of her passing, the first thing I said was, "Well you know, Jane served God right up to the end.  She served God faithfully and always shared Jesus Christ.  Her life was well spent for God."  WOW!  What a legacy!  I thought, I want people to say that about me! 

What would people say if something were to happen to you today or tomorrow?  Are these the thoughts that would immediately come to mind when people hear of your passing?  Well, you can't go back and change the past, but you can most certainly affect how your story ends from this point on. 

We have all sinned and fallen short of what pleases God, and the wages (the reward) of our sin is death (spiritual death).  The good news is, you don't have to try to "get right" or "fix" anything.  God shows His love for you in that, while you were still living in sin, He sent His Son to die for you.  All you have to do is REPENT: Stop and turn away from sin and follow Jesus Christ.  If you confess your sins, He is faithful and just to forgive you and cleanse you from all unrighteousness (1 John 9).  Beloved, God loves you so very much!  He stands at the door of your heart, knocking. Invite Him in!

God so loved you (and the world), that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  John 3:16  You can have eternal life right now!  Right now, you can secure your today and all your tomorrows in Him.  You don't have to live apart from Him anymore. Like Jane, you can leave a legacy that is well pleasing to God!

Just pray this simple prayer:

"Father, I know I'm a sinner.  I acknowledge that I've lived my life apart from You.  Please forgive me of my sins.  I believe in my heart that Jesus Christ is your Son, and I confess with my mouth that You raised Him from the dead.  Come into my heart and be my Lord and Savior; make me the person You want me to be.  Thank you for saving me and making me a new creature; old things are passed away - behold all things are become new! Amen!" 

Congratulations!  Welcome to the family of God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider partnering with us as a fellow Way Maker in the Kingdom! Subscribe with us and receive all ministry updates! Thank you for sharing!