Friday, January 9, 2015

EMOTIONS - Can They be Trusted?

My new book, "The Way Makers - Ambassadors for Christ, Preparing the Way of the Lord", on which this blog is based, is about to be released!

I am soooo, uber excited!!  As you can imagine, along with all that excitement, comes a volatile continuum of emotions - ranging from very high to very low and everywhere in between!
I have been beside myself trying to finalize so many details for my upcoming book signings and settling matters with the publishers (Xulon Press - they have been great, by the way).  So I decided I needed to get off the roller coaster and seek the Lord.

I began in the Psalms (they always soothe my spirit); in chapter 8 since it was the 8th day of the month.  As I began to read, I decided to declare the Word out loud.  I prayed the Word back to God: "O Lord, our Lord, how excellent (majestic and glorious) is Your name in all the earth!"

As I looked back at my Bible, on the opposite page was a devotion based on Psalm 7:9b (AMP):  "...for You, Who try the hearts and emotions and thinking powers, are a righteous God."  Therefore, the devotional was appropriately titled, "When God Tests Your Emotions"!  Can you imagine!  Talk about a timely word from the Lord!

Here it is:  God tests our emotions.  No matter who we are, we will all experience times when our emotions are tried.  God desires that we "walk by faith, not by sight" - and not by how we "feel". Emotions are very fickle.  You know how it is...one day you're up and the next you're down.  If you are going through a very high-stress period like I am right now, your emotions will be all over the place!  I can tell you, these last few days have left me feeling exhausted.  I am NOT walking in victory and God is NOT glorified in this way of living.  Remember, Jesus came that we might have life - abundant life! Zoe life! Not this up and down stuff!

So what must we do to be saved?  According to Joyce Meyer, when our emotions are under attack and out of control:  "1) Do not allow yourself to fall under condemnation; 2) Do not even try to figure out what is happening; 3) Simply declare, "This is one of those times when my emotions are being tried; I'm going to trust God and learn to control them."

Emotions are problem-driven; faith is purpose-driven.  So feed your faith and starve your doubts!

I agree with Joyce.  Submit to God and the devil will flee (James 4:7).  The Word says that He will keep us in perfect peace when our minds are focused on Him (Is. 26:3).  God led me to the Psalms. He knew that was the best place to start! So today, I read Psalm 9 which declares how BIG God is and how POWERFUL He is!  It makes my problems pale in comparison.

Today, I declare that He is my refuge and stronghold in the time of trouble (Ps. 9:9).

Way Makers - mature Sons - walk by faith, not by sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consider partnering with us as a fellow Way Maker in the Kingdom! Subscribe with us and receive all ministry updates! Thank you for sharing!